Monday, April 7, 2014

Progression


I'll try to post weekly until I am actually in Beijing.


"This will be hard. Physics is something that I can practice in any part of the planet. Law, on the other hand, has limitations." She said

"We can always come to an agreement. I can take the USA bar exam. We can live there. Be rational. Stop being so whimsical."

"But I want Canada, East Asia, Europe, not just one place! Can you really blame me for that?"

...

     I never thought that going to "work" (Au Pair is considered a cultural exchange) in another country would take so much paperwork. The problem isn't getting the papers, but the fact that Puerto Rican agencies are SO inefficient. Just to get one paper you have to wake up at 05:00, be in line by 06:00 and don't expect to be out before 13:00. A whole day wasted in one thing and I still have 10 more things to get. I guess there won't be much free time this week.

   Even when I don't want to, I have high expectations with my host family. When they made my weekly schedule, they told me I wouldn't have free weekends because they wanted to share their free time with me. They want to take me to famous places in Beijing like The Great Wall, Summer Palace and such. In some way it's really nice of them to want to spend so much time with me, but it will feel so weird for me. I am not really a family person. I like to spend a great amount of time alone, specially on the weekends. It will take some time getting used to. This is what I wanted, there's no turning back now.

     To be honest, as the departure day gets closer and closer, I get more scared. I don't really want to think about it, so let's skip that for now, at least until I get back from Seattle/Vancouver. That trip will be amazing. Knowing I'll be out of the country again with my closest friends makes me feel real fortunate. I'll take that trip as a my farewell party. I know I will just be 3 months in Beijing, but who knows what may happen? What if I find an amazing job in China and decide to stay?


3 comments: