Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Basic Principles

     For us 90's kids, from birth we were bombarded with tv. Breakfast, lunch, dinner. Every step of the day had to some degree a tv involved. I still remember watching Pokémon with my father and brother each morning before class, and Dragon Ball Z after I got home from school. Dinnertime was Star Wars. There were always others, but something about these made them stuck in my mind. A boy who leaves his house to become a Pokémon Master, a man stranded in a alien world, a journey across the universe. Now that I think about it, these are the things that have defined my life until now.

... Forward to that moment.

     Spring Break 2013. That was a big turning point in my life. You see, never do people expect to end up being that person who meets the perfect guy and ends up doing stupid amazing things for him. That Wednesday night I met him. There, at the end of the bar. I can still see him there laughing with his friends. Because of him I got the courage to book a flight with my friends and stay over at his place in New York City. Or to, a month later, book another flight to see him again, this time alone. I won't say it was true love. No. It was more of a international crush. But after those two short trips, I understood that traveling was just a matter of will. But little that I know that was just the beginning of an astounding new phase in my life.


     Just in one year I went from "only been to Florida" to "I've visited New York (2), Florida, Texas, Beijing and Shanghai, soon to visit Seattle/Vancouver". But most importantly, and the reason to this blog, I will be working as an Au Pair in Beijing for 3 months during this summer. Yes, I will be spending 3 months living on someone else's house taking care of their two girls, learning the language and immersing myself in Chinese culture. Language and culture are the main reasons I applied in the first place. The placement confirmation came in last week and I though that a blog would be a great way to share my experience with whoever is interested. The program won't start until May, but the paperwork starts now, so I might as well record the whole process.

Wish me luck!

:)

No comments:

Post a Comment