Monday, April 21, 2014

Disposition


“I was thinking it would be easy leaving Africa and coming to the USA. I thought I would learn the language and then get rich! But after five years here, I still can’t even talk good English. I work 10 hours a day as a taxi driver just to pay for the basics. There’s no money left for anything else. But at least it’s not hot here in Seattle. I love this cold weather”


            I shouldn’t write feeling like this. I think the whole point of a fun adventurous blog dies when you are at the airport feeling like you left something behind. It’s a weird feeling you get when you have to say goodbye to great experiences, places and, above all, to amazing people. For some of us, heading back home isn’t as exciting as leaving home.


I am biting my nails again…

            This week we saw some wonderful things in both Vancouver and Seattle. Vancouver was the first stop. I threw my first snow ball (at my friend Jean and totally missed), tried to go snow tubing just to find out it was a children’s ride, hiked for 3 hours, went shopping, had a stranger try to kiss me, almost ran over someone, saw some gorgeous young homeless people and was just amazed by the beauty of the city and it’s utterly nice people. I hope I can live in Vancouver one day.

 
A shot of courage…

            Part 2 of the trip was Seattle. It was a more relaxing experience here. The only real big activities we did were The Seattle Great Wheel and the EMP Museum. On the way to the wheel, I saw the first ever Starbucks, not that I care much since I don’t like coffee. The wheel looked terrifying because it was set upon a large dock (for those who don’t know, I am dead afraid of fish). At least I had someone besides me who was as scared as I was, if not more. I want to pause to just give a honor mention to someone who made this day perfect: Salmon BLT; thank you for existing and making the ride worth it. Back to the activities. The museum I fell in love with. It had music, movies, sci-fi and everything pop-culture. I am a big fan of sci-fi, so you can imagine I just fan-girled all the way.


            It was a great week. Every second of it was memorable. But it’s time to head back to reality. A lot of schoolwork is waiting for me back home. Also, a lot of Au Pair papers to sign and send. I took a pause, now it’s time to resume normal life. But to be honest… I just can’t wait for SK to happen.


One last word... MAJESTIC.

No comments:

Post a Comment